Are you searching for balance bikes? If you are going to buy your kid a balance bike, you should know what matters and what does not. With the right balance bike, your kid can learn to ride more easily. Moreover, these bikes make your child confident enough to steer. Make sure you get your kid the right bike for the first time. Below are a few things that your first bike should absolutely have.
How high should the seat of the bike be?
Well, as a general rule, you should keep in mind that the bike height below your child’s seam has to be between 1 and 1.5 inches. How can you get this measurement? One easy way is to pinch a book between your kid’s legs raising it to their crotch until it is parallel to the floor. Now, you can easily measure how high the bike top is from the ground.
What should be the size of the bike tires?
You will find that most of the tires are between 10 to 20 inches in size. For a start, we suggest that you stick to the 12-inch ones, especially tires made of plastic and rubber. Aside from this, most people prefer foam and pneumatic types. The great thing about them is that they give maximum cushion as well as traction.
Rubber, foam and plastic tires are lightweight and don’t puncture very easily. However, they are not ideal for all types of terrains.
How heavy should the bike be?
Generally, make sure the bike doesn’t weigh more than your kid does. As a general rule, you may want to go for a bike that is about your kid’s weight. Fortunately, the majority of bikes sold out there are lightweight and hence they are a good choice for most toddlers and preschoolers. Preferably, you can take your kid with you to the store and let them try different bikes. This can help you choose the best bike.
Are breaks important?
While your kid’s bike won’t need to have brakes, opting for a bike with brakes is a good idea. The brakes should be designed in accordance with the height of your kid. Having brakes on the bike will allow your kid to stop or slow down the bike without ruining the bottom of their shoes. This will also help them handle the bike more easily preventing injuries. So, this is an extra but useful feature that your kid’s bike should have.
What do you think about turning limiters?
Again, they are not a must-have feature when buying a balance bike. However, the function of turning limiters is to prevent the bike handle from turning backward. So, when riding, the bike won’t take sharp turns. Sharp turns are dangerous and make the bike go out of control at times. As far as riding experience goes, turning limiters don’t help much, but they do cut down on the turning radius of the bike.
I recommend only to use these bikes with Helmet, knee and elbow pads.
My Pick of the Top Balance Bikes in 2017
1Top Balance Bikes: Cruzee – Best Overall
Family fun starts here! Cruzee Balance Bikes open up a whole new world of fun and exercise for you and your child. No-pedal balance bikes inspire freedom and independence, while helping your child become mobile and active at an astonishingly early age. It’s the perfect bike trainer for kids, and a great activity to spend quality time with your little one. Even a small trip around the block is a big adventure for a 2-year-old on a Cruzee. Cherish every moment with your toddler as you watch your child’s confidence grow, while creating a strong bond between you that will last a lifetime.
2Top Balance Bikes: TheCroco – Best In Lightweight
- Ultra Lightweight and Portable
- Flat-free tires never need inflating and never go flat
- Padded handlebar adds safety
- Very Affordable
- Made in dfferent colors
- Low seat height for tall children
- Does not have additional features like hand brakes or pedals
TheCroco Balance Bike allow children to focus on balance rather than pedaling, making the transition to a pedal bike easier. It develops their coordination and confidence while mastering riding earlier. They just straddle the bike with both feet on the ground and easily propel the bike by walking or running.
- ULTRALIGHT AND PORTABLE– its aluminum frame make it the absolute lightest Balance Bike out there, weighing just 4.3 lbs (2kg). It allows the smallest riders feel more in control while developing their motor skills. (Ages from 18 months – 5 years)
- ULTIMATE BIKING EXPERIENCE – improve their balance and coordination giving uncompromising confidence to prepare them for graduating onto a pedal bike as they will master one thing at the time. Seat Height from 11.5 to 18.5 inch
- HAPPINESS THAT LASTS – with its fully adjustable padded seat and handlebars TheCroco Balance Bike can be adapted to a growing child providing years of fun, that your child will love and you will too
Ages 1.5 – 5 Years
3Top Balance Bikes: Strider Sport – Best Universal Fit
- Adjustable to Fit Ages 18 Months to 4 Years Old
- Rear Brake is included for More Safety
- Comfortable with a Large Seat and Padded Handlebars
- Slick and Sporty Design
- No handle to carry the bike
- Foam Tires Provide Minimal Traction and no Cushioning
- Exposed Bolts can Potentially Scratch Legs
This feature-rich, mid-level model offers every feature a child (and parent) could want: custom grips, padded saddle, handlebar pad, and quick release clamps (no-tool adjustment). It is the perfect balance of performance, options, and value. More than eight years of design evolution and manufacturing improvements all packaged into one model. With an extra-long, adjustable seat post, it is the only balance bike your toddler or preschooler will ever need.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD: The seat and handlebar heights adjust to accommodate ages 18 months to 5 years, or a 12 to 20″ inseam (no tools required). The 12 Sport is perfect for future upgrades such as a foot brake or heavy-duty tires.
- DESIGNED FOR YOUNG KIDS: The lightweight frame weighs only 6.7 pounds, making it easy for your child to ride and stride. The toddler-sized grips offer better control and the built-in footrests are perfect for learning to balance and glide.
- COMFORTABLE AND SAFE: The 12 Sport comes equipped with a padded seat and a handlebar pad, providing an extra level of safety and comfort so they can ride all day long. Because they’ll always want one more go around the block.
Ages 1.5 – 5 Years
4Top Balance Bikes: Radio Flyer Glide & Go Air – Best Budget
Radio Flyer Glide & Go
- Extremely Affordable
- Tires Have Excellent Traction
- Surprisingly Good Design for the Price
- Easy to Reach Bell
- Quick Release Seat Post Clamp
- As With all Budget Bikes, it's not as Durable as the Other Bikes
- No Padded Protection for Handlebars
- No Footrests
- Bell can Become a Nuisance
- The Bike has Rubber Tires
Boost your child’s confidence by giving him/her a more fun and effective way to learn to ride a bike! This pedal-free beginner bike allows your child to focus on balance, preparing him/her for a two-wheeler in no time. Avoid wobbly and frustrating training wheels altogether! The Radio Flyer Glide & Go Balance Bike with air tires helps eliminate the fear of falling, allowing children as young as 2-1/2 to get on and go. The bike features air tires that hug the road and a sturdy steel frame for durability. The comfort seat adjusts to grow with your child and the ringing bell offers additional fun.
5Top Balance Bikes: YEDOO TOO TOO
YEDOO TOO TOO
- aluminum handlebars won't rust
- comfortable padding for hands
- High quality Tektro V-pull brakes
- 12″ to 18″ seat height range allows plenty of room for growth
- Padded saddle
- Exposed bolts can potentially scratch legs
- Its small frame is not ideal for older/heavier riders
- The frame has a high step, making it challenging to get on and off the bike
TOOTOO is an affordable balance bike with premium safety features. Rear V-brakes are standard equipment, so slowing and stopping are easy to manage, even with bare feet. The lightweight handlebar and stem is unitized and the headset contains an integral steering limiter. The saddle is redesigned and shaped for rider comfort and stability. Handgrips have been given a handsome new design and the tires have been upgraded to KENDA brand for better performance. As one of the lightest balance bikes available, children easily handle the TooToo and master the fundamentals of balance, cornering and steering without stress or difficulty making TooToo an easy buying decision for discriminating parents!
- Super light balance bike weighs only 8 lbs
- Ergonomic saddle with adjustment range of 12″-18″
- Unitized aluminum handlebars with premium hand grips
- Aluminum V-Brake by TEKTRO and adjustable reach brake lever
- Premium inflated tires by KENDA with angled valve stems
Ages 2 – 5 Years
I recommend only to use these bikes with Helmet, knee and elbow pads.
Do you have any tips that you find helpful? Let us know your favorites!